The original village of Oxted (now Old Oxted) is a small village centred around a short high street with four pubs (The Old Bell, The George Inn, The Crown Inn and The Wheatsheaf) just off the A25.
Oxted’s oldest church (St Mary’s) was built some distance north-east from the original settlement of Oxted, but it is almost surrounded by the new town. The church dates from at least Norman times and stands on a conspicuous mound, perhaps artificial. It is possible that a Saxon church of wattle and daub existed on the site before the later stone construction.
With the arrival of the railway in 1884 (after many years’ delay caused by lack of funds) Oxted boomed around its station, north-east of Old Oxted), and new buildings created “New Oxted”. These new buildings were built in the Tudor style.
The Greenwich Meridian runs through Oxted School and Oxted.
Oxted is one of the few Surrey towns to retain its town brass band, Oxted Band, which has been a permanent fixture within the town since 1901.
The village is in a conservation area and some of the surrounding area is National Trust land including Limpsfield Common. Staffhurst Wood is also within the parish boundaries and is notable for its bluebells in spring.
Limpsfield Chart, a hamlet to the south east of the village has a golf course and cricket club. Limpsfield itself has a cricket club that is now merged with nearby Oxted, a soccer team and a tennis club.
Hurst Green is a large village in the English county of Surrey. Hurst Green is very close to Oxted to the north, and the village of Merle Common to the south. To the east and west are heavily wooded areas, also to the west the small village of Broadham Green with the Haycutter pub.
Hurst Green was very small until the opening of Hurst Green Halt in the early 1900s. After this more houses rapidly began to be built, with a new council estate in the 1940s/50s. To cater for the increase in population, Hurst Green Infant School was opened in the late 1950s and Holland Junior School in 1971. The Halt was rebuilt as Hurst Green railway station in 1961 with frequent commuter services to London Bridge and Victoria.
Just south of Hurst Green is the village of Holland. This is smaller than Hurst Green and is mainly residential with a small Industrial estate (International Rectifier). In 2007 the disused Ajax factory on the estate was destroyed by arson and this is now being redeveloped. Holland and Hurst Green are now recognised as one, as there is no clear divide between the two.
The Prime Meridian passes through Hurst Green.
The heart of Godstone consists of two centres which are now conservation areas, Church Town and Godstone Green.
Church Town, with its old timber framed buildings, is quiet and secluded. The Old Packhouse, dating from the 15th century, is the oldest timber framed building in the town. In the 18th Century, brick became the fashionable material for house building, and Church End and Church House, opposite the church, are two fine examples.
Godstone Green became a busy centre of roads and vehicles during the growth of wheeled traffic in the 16th century, an era which spawned the establishment of Godstone’s numerous inns. A number of houses built entirely of brick appeared in the 18th Century, notably the row in the High Street.
During the 19th Century, The Pond at Godstone Green was used as a horse-pond with a sloping bank down which the wagoners drove their horses.